1st & 2nd Grade
Teacher: “Mr. Sterling” (
- About Acts
- Map of the Region
- Story (from Acts -40)
- Ethiopian Treasurer / Eunuch (Under Queen Candace)
o Explanation of Festival
o Lamb Sacrifice Motif
o Ethiopian was seeking (searching after) God.
o An Angel of the Lord gives him instructions…
· Did Philip use a Sports Car? (Obviously, no.)
· Took great Obedience on Philip’s part.
§ Long Journey… “Day’s trip” usually meant 20 miles.
o He meets up with the Ethiopian’s chariot and runs toward it.
o Reading a scroll in his chariot.
§ Scroll vs. Codex…they didn’t have Scripture as books yet!
§ Philip asks if he understands what he’s reading.
§ Ethiopian responds, “How can I unless some man leads me?!”
o Scroll was Isaiah 53 – “As a Lamb led before the Slaughter…”
§ Messiah – Anointed / Chosen One of God.
§ Philip tells the Ethiopian about Jesus, the Messiah.
- Some Water is Nearby…
o Ethiopian: What keeps me from being baptized right now?
o Philip: If you believe in Jesus with ALL your heart, you can be baptized.
o Ethiopian: I believe that Jesus is the Son of God!
- Ethiopian expresses belief and then is baptized.
- Philip immediately carried away to preach elsewhere by the Holy Spirit after the baptism (to Azotus, verse 40 of Acts 8).
Characteristics of the Ethiopian?
Characteristics of Philip?
A few Lessons to Glean from this Passage:
Hopefully, something GRABS you about this passage…
1) God’s Care for Each of Us.
2) Role of the Holy Spirit
o The Holy Spirit draws people to a relationship with God.
3) All things are known by God.
o God knew where the Ethiopian was and would be…
o God knew that Philip would be obedient in following Him…
o God knew the Ethiopian’s need for fulfillment through the Messiah – Jesus!
4) Baptism’s function after faith in Jesus (through His…)
In this story, there are 2 Categories of People…
- Philip – knows about Jesus, believes in Him and what He’s done – TELL OTHERS ABOUT HIM!
- Ethiopian Eunuch – Missing a BIG piece of the puzzle – TAKE THE STEP OF FAITH!
Memory Verse: John 3:36(a) (full verse finished in parentheses) – “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life (, for God's wrath remains on him)”
Prayer & Invitation
Class Policies, Stuffed Animals!